technical cooperation activities: information from
other intergovernmental organizations
international union for the protection of new varieties of plants (upov)
At its meeting of 6 June 2019, the Council for TRIPS agreed to invite intergovernmental organization observers to the Council to update the information on their technical and financial cooperation programmes relating to the implementation of the TRIPS Agreement.
The present document reproduces the information which has been received from the International Union for The Protection of New Varieties of Plants (UPOV) by means of a communication dated 5 February 2020.
- UPOV's mission is to provide and promote an effective system of plant variety protection, with the aim of encouraging the development of new varieties of plants, for the benefit of society.
- Information on membership of UPOV can be found at: http://www.upov.int/members/en.
- The main objectives of UPOV are, in accordance with the UPOV Convention, to:
- provide and develop the legal, administrative and technical basis for international cooperation in plant variety protection;
- assist States and organizations in the development of legislation and the implementation of an effective plant variety protection system; and
- enhance public awareness and understanding of the UPOV system of plant variety protection.
- Information on the technical and financial cooperation programmes of UPOV in relation to UPOV's objectives is provided as follows:
Assistance to States and Organizations in the development of legislation and the implementation of an effective plant variety protection system
Annex I to this report provides information on UPOV's activities in relation to the development of legislation and the implementation of an effective plant variety protection system for the period October 2018 – September 2019.
Annex II to this report provides information on international cooperation facilitated by UPOV.
Annex III contains a list of acronyms and abbreviations used in this report.