590. Thank you Chair and colleagues for giving us the opportunity to share our experiences and national policies information regarding this agenda item. First of all, the delegation of Japan would like to thank the delegation of Switzerland for introducing our concept paper.
591. As introduced in our concept paper, WIPO GREEN plays a key role in facilitating the development and dissemination of green technologies. As all of you are aware, WIPO GREEN was launched in 2013 for the purpose of supporting the dissemination of green technologies. The activities of WIPO GREEN focus on encouraging the utilization of green technologies by promoting business matchmaking between green tech providers and seekers, utilizing online databases and regional activities. At present, the WIPO GREEN database with more than 3,800 technologies, needs and experts registered is utilized by more than 1,500 users across the world.
592. On 19 February 2020, the Japan Patent Office (JPO) began participating in WIPO GREEN as a partner. More than 100 partners, including government agencies, industry groups, companies, and universities, have participated in WIPO GREEN and, in fact, the JPO was the first IP Office in the Asia-Pacific Region to participate in this platform. Partners become members of the WIPO GREEN Advisory Board, who work together with the International Bureau of WIPO to lead discussions at WIPO GREEN. They play a key role, offering support and advice on WIPO GREEN activities. The JPO will continue to support the spread of green technologies as a partner by providing advice regarding the activities of WIPO GREEN and sharing knowledge with other partners.
593. At present, 25 partners from Japan have joined WIPO GREEN. Some of their activities are introduced on the JPO website for the purpose of spreading and raising awareness of WIPO GREEN initiatives. Today, we would like to touch upon some of these. The first case is about Fujitsu Limited. In order to achieve Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Fujitsu believes it is important not only to utilize its own green technologies by itself, but also to spread them more broadly throughout society by collaborating with many other players. Based on its corporation philosophy, Fujitsu joined WIPO GREEN, as a partner in September 2017, and has since registered over 500 intellectual property assets related to green technologies in the WIPO GREEN database and has concluded 46 patent licensing agreements with six organizations. Fujitsu has also conducted e-learning and workshops on SDGs, utilizing information of its activities and needs related to WIPO GREEN as material for in-house education. In addition, we would like to mention one of the cases from Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs) as well. Green Science Alliance, which developed 100% nature biomass based biodegradable resin, registered its technology in the WIPO GREEN database. This technology is applicable to many kinds of products, including Nano cellulose composite, various types of biomass waste based resin, non-edible biomass resource based resin, and 100% biomass based coating material. Through these initiatives of WIPO GREEN, the delegation of Japan sincerely hopes that such green technologies continue to spread across the world.
594. Our modern economy and society are built on the foundation of a stable and prosperous environment. However, the increase in human activity continues to place a heavy burden on the global environment. As a result, the problem of global environmental crises has become apparent, and our lives have been adversely affected in many ways. Climate change, resource recycling, and biodiversity are all global issues. At the same time, they are also local issues that are closely related to our lives. In Japan, we devote ourselves to the greatest possible extent to bring about a green society, while focusing on a virtuous cycle of the economy and the environment as a pillar of our growth strategy. The key here is revolutionary innovations of green technologies, and intellectual property plays an important role in promoting and broadly spreading this innovation. Japan would like to make the utmost effort to continue our contribution to the spread of green technologies in Japan and overseas, including the cooperation and measures we introduced. Finally, the delegation of Japan is looking forward to hearing shared experiences from other Members.