637. Document IP/C/W/675 (Communication from Australia, Canada, Chile, the European Union, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland, the Separate Customs Territory of Taiwan, Penghu, Kinmen and Matsu, the United Kingdom and the United States). Ecuador thanks the Members that submitted document IP/C/W/675, and also expresses its gratitude for the interesting side event of 9 March 2021 on the competitiveness of micro-, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) through IP and innovation, support for the least developed countries, and green technology.
638. The questions raised in the above document for discussion on this issue have been analysed by the Ecuadorian Government and SENADI, the specialized entity responsible for intellectual property issues, in response to the document proposal. In that regard, a number of points from Ecuador are set out below. At present, we are taking part in the sectoral study on agriculture driven by WIPO GREEN with the participation of Argentina, Brazil and Chile, whose study is at its initial stage.
639. The Ecuadorian Government enacted the Organic Law on Entrepreneurship and Innovation of 2020, the purpose of which is to establish a regulatory framework that encourages and fosters entrepreneurship, innovation and technological development, and promotes an entrepreneurial culture in Ecuador to strengthen the entrepreneur ecosystem.
640. Another of the benefits of Ecuador's policy in this area relates to discounts of 50-90% on registration fees granted by SENADI, thereby facilitating access to the protection of intangible assets protected by IP. Moreover, the national agency works in coordination with the Ministry of Production in the area of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) with regard to information and advice on these matters.
641. As part of PROSUR, Ecuador has participated in the production of bulletins on green technologies, including wind power, as a form of dissemination of knowledge and use in Latin America and Spanish-speaking countries. We continue working to ensure the competitiveness of MSMEs in green technology in order to reduce the pressure on the environment in strategies established to ensure environmental, economic and social quality and sustainability.